One of the most absolute coolest things in life is freedom of choice. You and I get the power to choose. Our lives are really the sum of our good and bad choices. You know what? I quit trying to be perfect at about age 2...LOL! However, I have not quit on trying to have way more good choices than bad choices in my life. Life tends to go a lot smoother when we choose to make more right choices. I like to say do the right things you tend to get the right results.
Have you ever heard, "We reap what we sow"? "You reap what you sow" means you and I will eventually receive the GOOD blessings of our actions (choices) and the BAD consequences of our actions. Like I said, we are truly the sum of our good and bad choices we make in our lives.
Here are 3 Important Choices To Start Doing For Yourself:
1. Choose to start being honest with yourself about everything.
It's funny. A lot of times we are just not very honest with ourselves.
It's really okay to be honest about what’s right, as well as what needs to be changed in your life. I think it's really important to be very honest about what you want to achieve and who you want to become in your life. In fact, I will go as far as to say be honest with every aspect of your life, ALWAYS. Why? Because you are the one person you can forever count on. You will have a lot of great people come and go in your life. However, search your soul for the truth, so that you truly know who you are. Once you do, you’ll have a better understanding of where you are now and how you got here, and you’ll be better equipped to identify where you want to go and how to get there.
2. Choose to start noticing and living in the present.
Right now is a miracle. You are alive. You are breathing, you have a heartbeat. Right now is the only moment guaranteed to you. Right now is life. Live in the "NOW". Several years ago I really challenged myself to focus more on the here and now.
Stop thinking about how great things will be in the future. You know a real trap we often get into in life? We will tend to dwell on what did or didn’t happen in the past. Learn to be in the "now" and experience life as it’s happening. Appreciate the world for the beauty that it holds, right now.
Try this: Stop and think about 5 things that you have or are happening right now.
Here are my 5:
1. I'm in Breckenridge, CO looking at gorgeous mountains.
2. I'm enjoying the mountains with my wonderful wife.
3. Ahh...I'm sipping on a nice warm cup of coffee.
4. I hear thunder in the distance.
5. I'm experiencing the joy of good health.
3. Choose to start valuing the lessons your mistakes teach you.
Even though I don't like when I make a mistake, mistakes are okay; they’re the stepping stones of learning and progress. The key is to really try to not make the same mistake over and over again.
If you’re not failing from time to time, might not be trying hard enough and you’re not learning. Take risks, stumble, fall, and then get up and try again. Appreciate that you are pushing yourself, learning, growing and improving. Significant achievements are almost invariably realized at the end of a long road of failures. One of the "mistakes" you fear might just be the link to your greatest achievement yet.
Here are a few things I took some risks at and made some mistakes but I learned and kept pushing forward:
1. I planted a beautiful container garden in late spring. Oops! Colorado gets a lot of hail storms. Some plants and vegetables did not make it through our first hail storm. What did I learn? Create tarps and shade protections from the next hail storm. I did this and all was good throughout the summer with 5 more hail storms.
2. I taught myself several new songs on the piano. Well, none of them really got off to a great start. However, I can play them quite well now. What did I learn? I learned to keep "chipping away" and doing a little bit of piano practice each day and I will get better and get new songs down.
3. I got off to a really bad start on trying to exercise during the summer. What did I learn? I chose to do exercises that I absolutely hated. So, I modified, changed things up and I began to enjoy exercising / being active again.
Let me hear from you. What are some positive choices you know you need to start doing in your life right now?